It’s Valentine’s Day! Happy Valentine’s Day! Or as I would like to call it – Happy Self Love Day!
With the hustle and bustle of life, sometimes we forget to take a little break and practise some much-needed self-care. The demands of work, school, chores, family life, relationships and other ventures, often render us so preoccupied that we neglect our own wellbeing. For example, when was the last time you pampered yourself? If you have to stop and think about it, then it’s probably been way too long!
Whether you are in a romantic relationship or single, Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to show yourself some love. Need some ideas? We’ve got you covered! Here are 7 easy ways to love yourself this Valentine’s Day.
- Have a special sweet treat: Do you have a favourite special treat? Have you been denying yourself its sweet goodness? Been waiting for a special occasion or just been feeling guilty to eat it? Well, it’s time to stop. Life is short and you deserve to enjoy it. Give yourself a treat. Get that chocolate bar and bite into that rich cocoa. Enjoy the flavourful notes and smooth texture as the delicious chocolate melts against your tongue. Savour it. Then swallow. Wasn’t that good?
- Go shopping: Many of us (particularly the ladies) know how relaxing and cathartic shopping can be. If you haven’t been to the mall or your favourite shops in a while, go see what’s new. However, if your budget does not allow it, do some window-shopping instead. The experience and environment alone can be enough of a treat.
- Take a ‘stay-cation’: Have you been planning a trip but still haven’t actually done it? Has there been one delay after another? Rather than travel to a different country for a vacation, how about taking a ‘stay-cation’? I am sure there are at least a few places in your country that you have not yet visited. Book a room in a local guesthouse or hotel and enjoy the time alone in a different environment. Do some sightseeing and relax. Be a tourist in your own country.
- Take a course or read a textbook: You do not have to be academically inclined to do this one. To love yourself is not only to treat yourself well physically, but mentally as well. Have you always wanted to pick up a new skill? Interested in pottery, sewing, playing a musical instrument, carpentry, art, interior decorating, baking, jewellery-making, plumbing? Read through a newspaper or look online; there are many free courses available for various crafts. Love yourself enough to take the time to choose one and pursue it. On the other hand, you can also teach yourself something new by reading a guide or textbook. Love yourself and increase your knowledge!
- Exercise: Exercising regularly is a definite way to show yourself some love. Have you ever heard the saying “Your health is your wealth”? Well, it is quite true! A healthy body is full of potential. Exercise (among other factors, like diet and genetics) contributes greatly to such health. So take a break and exercise. If the gym is not convenient, go for a walk or run in your neighbourhood; or even do some stretches at home. You can never regret being healthy. Besides the health benefits, the endorphins released from exercise are great for boosting your mood. So kill two birds with one stone! Take a sweat and boost your health and your mood.
- Play with a pet:Ever saw a cute, fluffy puppy or kitten and felt a bubble of happiness grow within you? Or felt some sort of positive emotion? Let’s hope so. Similar with exercise, playing with pets can be a great mood booster and a simple way for you to show yourself some much needed love. If you are a kind owner, your pet will certainly show you love whether you want them to or not! Do you have an exuberant dog or affectionate cat? Then take a few minutes of your day to bask in their adoration of wonderful you.
- Take a break from social media: Taking a break from social media is like taking a weight off your shoulders. At least for me. The pressures of social media can be overwhelming at times and we all need a break at some point. If social media happens to be your source of income or business, hire an assistant or conscript a friend to help you while you take some time off. If you are a social media user, I’m sure you know that it can be very draining. As we must take care of our physical health, we must protect our mental health as well. Love yourself enough to take a break if your various social media accounts increase your stress. Take the time off to get some fresh air. The Internet is not going anywhere.
Valentine’s Day is not only for couples so go ahead and show yourself some love! You deserve it!